What is bAsk?
- bask [ba:sk]
- enjoy warmth and light
- The Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English
bAsk - the blueshell ADO Survey Kit - is a new diagnostic toolkit for ADO
programmers. It presents viewers for all types of ADObjects. BASKing is better than
debugging! It's freeware!
bAsk is currently compiled with Visual Basic 6, Service Pack 3, but you may
use it in other environments if you have the VB6 runtimes (and ADO 2.1 or later)
installed. bAsk uses blueshell Active Tables (bAt) at runtime.
A runtime (and design-time trial) version of bAt is included in the bAsk
With bAsk you may view the properties of all the ADObjects.
- Start the Northwind example of blueshell Active Tables
- From the File menu select the command Open...
- The Login dialog appears. Select NWIND.MDB and press OK to open the
default database file.
- From the Bask menu select the command DataEnvironment Viewer.
- The Data Environment Viewer appears. Click on Customers of the Recordsets
- Press the RecView button.
- The Recordset Viewer appears and shows you all the details of the Customers
recordset. See the entry for State. This property has the value adStateClosed.
This is the reason for the Fields list beeing empty.
- Now we want to open that recordset. From the Files menu select the command Customers.
- The Customers form appears. Go back to the Recordset Viewer and press
the refresh button .
- The Fields list has been filled. Select CustomerId from this list and
press the FldView button.
- The Field Viewer appears showing you all the field's attributes. You may go
back to the Recordset Viewer and select another field. The Fields Viewer
will be refreshed to this field while the FldView remains down.